Peter Reinhart's [Delectible] Whole Wheat Bread

This bread recipe is a cross between the best of all the bread worlds and is my first successful attempt at truly properly made whole wheat yeast bread.
See various webpages for the recipe or invest in his book which appears to have many other winning recipes! :)
  • It is 100% whole grain = no white flour! (I used various ratios of Hard Red Wheat, Hard White Wheat, Rye, Spelt and Buckwheat.)
  • The recipe allows for proper soaking time! hurray! For those new to whole grain, this makes it 'feel' just like white flour breads and it would be hard for them to believe it is 100% whole grain. but also nutrition is increased, you get benefits from the enzymes and even increases the minerals you get by neutralizing the phytic acid which is holding them and taking yours.
  • (I left mine in the fridge a few extra days longer than the days called for simply because of a busy schedule and it still worked!! usually the sourness causes failure, but not this time!)
  • I used only part sprouted flour so I need to test it with 100% to see if it still works, but it looks promising. - this would increase the nutrients even more, including vitamins. It also improves the digestability of the gluten. (sorry, I'd have to dig up links to source that, but search for WAPF sites that talk about it for some basic info)
  • And the end product is delicious! It rises into a beautiful texture good for soft sandwich slices or steaming with honey butter for a treat.
  • (I replaced half the milk with water and next time will do just water - I am all for drinking milk, but prefer to cook with water since my milk is high in price from being politically incorrect.)

No comments: